In the following post I show steps of progression of my newest Audrey Hepburn OOAK doll. This time I use the new Mattel Audrey Hepburn, so let´s see how she will turn out. I don´t like that new mold, as I already said in my previous post, the face is terribly molded, but I have her now, and I just can´t let her stay like this.
The first thing to do is removing the factory paint. I use acetone free nail polish remover, but pure acetone works as well. I water tissue paper with the remover and than carefully rubb the paint, so it comes of. The paint of the soft vinyl heads comes of very easily, so there is no need to rubb hardly.
The next step is to work on the hair. I usually do boil perming and later a hair styling using hair spray.
Look at that bangs! Awfull! It´s much too short and the forehead of the doll is too high.
If I´d be able to reroot, I would do so directly. But unfortunately, I can´t, so I have to work with this messy hair.
I want her to have bangs, that reach at least the middle of her forehead. Therefore I separate some wisps of hair that are rooted directly next to the bangs and pull them to the front. After boiling they will stay in place. But now the bangs are to thick. That´s why I just cut off the first row of the bangs. It looks scary, but finally has the right thickness..
The boiling method works wonders! I fixe her bangs in place with a thread and put her haed for a few seconds into boiling water. After that I put it into ice cold water and let it dry.
Now the new bangs stay in place.
Now I start with the repaint. I use artist quality acrylic paints by Schmincke and predominantly a 0/20 liner for the whole repaint, and a 0/30 liner for the details. For shading I use also strongly diluted acrylic paints and a bigger paint brush. I always start with the eyes. First the shape and than the inner white.
This takes long, because I have to make many thin layers, so the brush strokes cannot be seen.
Afterwards I place the iris and work on the details. Audrey was 24 years old, when she played in Roman Holiday. Her Make Up
was very natural, That´s why I use basically brown and natural tones for my paint.
To paint the lashes I use the 0/30 liner. I just love it! It makes it really easy to paint lashes or other small details. You can get them at MicroMarc online. They offer international shipping as well, lucky me!.
The paint isn´t totally done, but I already started with face shading.
This facemold is not easy to work with, the lips are much too paddy, and the whole face is too chubby, even for a young Audrey. So I try to define her facial features with the paint. The lips are a real fight! I have to redo tham a hundred times!
But the good thing with repainting is, you can renew it whenever you want!
I make a break with the repaint and continue working on her hair. The next step is to solve the messy hair problem. She should have cute little curls. I wet the hair again and curl them into the shape I want them to be. Following I repeat the boiling procedure and let the hair dry.
Normally you have to wait untill the hair is totally dry, but I know before, that the little curls wouldn´t stay in place without hairspray. That´s why I restyle and set the curls with hairspray again and now the hair has to dry.
This will take at least 24 hours, maybe more. The hairstyling will be stiff, but I hope that it will look better, than before.
Now I have to wait untill the hair is dry and I can work more on the repaint. The basic paint is done, I just need to work
some more on minor details.
To see the final result, click on picture on the left!
I really have to admitt, that it was not easy for me to achieve a respectable likeness to Audrey with this facemold.
I´m sure, other doll artists will repaint this doll as well and I´m very curious how their results will look