Roman Holiday OOAK Doll - Behind the Scenes

In the following post I show steps of progression of my newest Audrey Hepburn OOAK doll. This time I use the new Mattel Audrey Hepburn, so let´s see how she will turn out. I don´t like that new mold, as I already said in my previous post, the face is terribly molded, but I have her now, and I just can´t let her stay like this.

The first thing to do is removing the factory paint. I use acetone free nail polish remover, but pure acetone works as well. I water tissue paper with the remover and than carefully rubb the paint, so it comes of. The paint of the soft vinyl heads comes of very easily, so there is no need to rubb hardly.

The next step is to work on the hair. I usually do boil perming and later a hair styling using hair spray.

Look at that bangs! Awfull! It´s much too short and the forehead of the doll is too high.

If I´d be able to reroot, I would do so directly. But unfortunately, I can´t, so I have to work with this messy hair.

I want her to have bangs, that reach at least the middle of her forehead. Therefore I separate some wisps of hair that are rooted directly next to the bangs and pull them to the front. After boiling they will stay in place. But now the bangs are to thick. That´s why I just cut off the first row of the bangs. It looks scary, but finally has the right thickness..

The boiling method works wonders! I fixe her bangs in place with a thread and  put her haed for a few seconds into boiling water. After that I put it into ice cold water and let it dry.

Now the new bangs stay in place.

Now I start with the repaint. I use artist quality acrylic paints by Schmincke and predominantly a 0/20 liner for the whole repaint,  and a 0/30 liner for the details. For shading I use also strongly diluted acrylic paints and a bigger paint brush. I always start with the eyes. First the shape and than the inner white.

This takes long, because I have to make many thin layers, so the brush strokes cannot be seen.

Afterwards I place the iris and work on the details. Audrey was 24 years old, when she played in Roman Holiday. Her Make Up was very natural, That´s why I use basically brown and natural tones for my paint.

To paint the lashes I use the 0/30 liner. I just love it! It makes it really easy to paint lashes or other small details. You can get them at MicroMarc online. They offer international shipping as well, lucky me!.

The paint isn´t totally done, but I already started with face shading.

This facemold is not easy to work with, the lips are much too paddy, and the whole face is too chubby, even for a young Audrey. So I try to define her facial features with the paint. The lips are a real fight! I have to redo tham a hundred times!

But the good thing with repainting is, you can renew it whenever you want!

I make a break with the repaint and continue working on her hair. The next step is to solve the messy hair problem. She should have cute little curls. I wet the hair again and curl them into the shape I want them to be. Following I repeat the boiling procedure and let the hair dry.

Normally you have to wait untill the hair is totally dry, but I know before, that the little curls wouldn´t stay in place without hairspray. That´s why I restyle and set the curls with hairspray again and now the hair has to dry.

This will take at least 24 hours, maybe more. The hairstyling will be stiff, but I hope that it will look better, than before.

Now I have to wait untill the hair is dry and I can work more on the repaint. The basic paint is done, I just need to work some more on minor details.

To see the final result, click on picture on the left!

I really have to admitt, that it was not easy for me to achieve a respectable likeness to Audrey with this facemold.

I´m sure, other doll artists will repaint this doll as well and I´m very curious how their results will look like!

Write a comment

Comments: 11
  • #1

Salvador LA (Tuesday, 20 August 2013 09:06)

Funny. I'm a pro at rerooting, but my repaint skills could use much improvement. Congratulations on your beautiful work. Best Audrey doll I''ve seen to date.

• #2

pattidolls (Wednesday, 21 August 2013 03:50)

How do you make the eyes so round?

• #3

lulemee (Sunday, 25 August 2013 18:06)

Thank you Sal! We should work together, lol.
    @Pattisdolls: I´m not sure what you mean with "round"?. You can write me a mail, if you want to, I gladly help! lulemee@gmx.de

• #4

Lexovic (Friday, 30 August 2013 14:23)

Again, wounderfull work! And I have a suggestion as to the tiny curlers: Take an old pan covering you used in order to avoid the hot oil from spouting out of the pan. Those coverings are mostly made from an alu netting. Cut the whole round out and now you can start making your own curlers any size you wish. When I do bigger ones I secure them with a thread.
    These curlers are simple to use and help drying the hair more quickly due to the netting ^_^

• #5

jessica (Tuesday, 21 January 2014 04:04)

fascinating , is this how you design drawing and hairstyle doll ooark! she is very beautiful and I said they are all beautiful!

• #6

Maddy (Wednesday, 14 October 2015 05:52)

Hello,
    You probably won't have time to respond to this, but
    How do you style the bangs on your Anna dolls?
    ~Maddy

• #7

Anna Groover (Saturday, 04 February 2017 04:18)

Why visitors still make use of to read news papers when in this technological globe the whole thing is accessible on web?

• #8

Everett Wiles (Sunday, 05 February 2017 04:06)

This paragraph is really a good one it helps new web viewers, who are wishing in favor of blogging.

• #9

Pamula Casado (Sunday, 05 February 2017 17:07)

My brother suggested I would possibly like this blog. He was once entirely right. This put up truly made my day. You can not imagine simply how so much time I had spent for this information! Thank you!

• #10

Tammi Scheuermann (Monday, 06 February 2017 00:35)

Good day! This is kind of off topic but I need some guidance from an established blog. Is it hard to set up your own blog? I'm not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty quick. I'm thinking about making my own but I'm not sure where to begin. Do you have any points or suggestions? Many thanks

• #11

Mitsue Daub (Tuesday, 07 February 2017 02:38)

Spot on with this write-up, I actually feel this website needs much more attention. I'll probably be returning to see more, thanks for the info!

Contact me: lulemee@gmx.de

Please check out this amazing site I am proud to be part of: the repaint society (click on photo to be forwarded to the site).

The greatest doll artists in the world are collaborating on diverse doll projects and more. Our current Project was the ABC TV Show "Once Upon A Time".

Like me on Facebook:

Find me:

Vote for our site!

On Top Doll Sites

Find me on DA:

Find me on Instagramm

Instagram

I am in no way related to the Mattel- or any other Doll-Company. I am just using the dolls as a canvas for my artistic expression. I am also not related to the Walt Disney Company, I am just inspired by the art of animation. This site is a non commercial non profit site displaying my repainting skills. I don´t claim ownership of any of the characters, that are displayed. All Disney characters belong to the Disney company. I am buying dolls and enhancing them through paint paying tribute to the art of animation, I don´t copy any preexistent dolls. I don´t sell dolls, this website is a virtual Gallery of my art.

This website uses cookies.